Coventry Sphinx 0 Town Youth 3

Town advanced into the fourth round of the MFYL League Cup with a thoroughly gutsy and disciplined performance in a game that was unfortunately marred by a serious injury to Town’s Joe Waterfield after only fifteen minutes.

The tie was postponed last week as Sphinx’s pitch was waterlogged and as it was still unfit the tie was switched to Rugby Borough’s Kilsby Lane ground.

With Sphinx flying high in the Northern Premier Division it was always going to be a testing evening for Town who went into the game missing several regulars  through injury or illness which meant a debut at centre half for 16 year old Jacob Williams..

Town though were sharp right from the kick off with Jack Ballinger not far away with a dipping volley followed by Rob Singer firing wide after being played in by a perfectly weighted through ball from Ballinger.

Town were already taking control with Waterfield and Harry Miles bossing midfield and the back four well marshalled by Sammy Mould making sure the keeper Callum Monaghan was untroubled, but with only a quarter of an hour gone a Sphinx defender launched into a rash challenger on Waterfield and was promptly sent off.

After a lengthy stoppage during which he received excellent attention from the Rugby Borough club doctor Waterfield was taken to hospital by ambulance, but fortunately the news this morning is encouraging as it has been confirmed that there is no break.

When play restarted Town continued to dominate and went ahead when the lively Ballinger’s mazy run was halted as he was brought down in the penalty area and Rob Sone blasted in the spot kick with the minimum of fuss.

With Ben Cook and Jack Beer raiding down the flanks and Adam Pomeroy working hard in midfield Town were well on top, and any hopeful Sphinx  breakaways were immediately snuffed out by Mould and Williams as  half time was reached with Town deservedly ahead.

And there was no let-up from Town in the second half with Singer doubling their lead with a crisp low drive on the hour mark and then having another decent effort come back off the post five minutes later.

Soon after Town had another penalty when Singer was fouled with the Town striker getting up to take it himself only for the Sphinx keeper to pull off a fine save.

But Town’s third was only delayed and ten minutes later another precision pass from Ballinger sent Sone clear to round the advancing keeper to slide the ball home and propel  Nick Ballinger’s progressive  side safely through to  the next round.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s