Town Youth 3 Rugby Borough Juniors 2

Town Youth took a massive step towards the MFYL Premier Division South title when Dan Atkins fired in a dramatic 87th minute winner to edge out Rugby Borough Juniors in a pulsating top of the table clash at the Arden Garages Stadium on Thursday evening

Coming on from the subs bench during the second half Atkins was making his return after a three month injury lay-off and he could hardly have done so in more spectacular style as he hit a sweetly struck shot from 25 yards out into the bottom corner to secure the points.

The Juniors are the only team to have got the better of Town in the League this season winning by the same 3-2 scoreline in the reverse fixture back in September, and in a game played at a searching pace throughout they were first to threaten with Hussama Noma shooting narrowly wide in only the fifth minute.

Soon after Town keeper Ryan Woodward did well to claim a looping right wing cross from Andrew Kear under pressure from Reece Hadlum before Town responded with Harry Hartin being crowded out as he tried to make room for a shot followed by James Pomeroy going close from the edge of the penalty area.

The Juniors skipper Zidane Mistry then made a surging run from halfway which was only halted by a perfectly timed tackle by Josh Aspinall-Smyth.

But it was Town who took the lead in the 22nd minute. Pomeroy’s herder was turned behind by Juniors keeper Noah Murray and when Bradley West delivered the resulting corner low into the Juniors’ six yard box it caught Murray and his defenders by surprise as it squeezed past them at the near post into the far corner of the net.

Tommy Harrington shot inches over as Town looked for a second, but they were pegged back in the 36th minute when Noma’s long range effort swerved past Woodward into the top corner.

Town then had a final chance to regain the lead right on half time when from another West corner Aspinall-Smyth head tantalisingly over from a couple of yards out.

The Juniors began to put Town under pressure after the restart but when they went ahead on the hour mark it was all down to a Town mistake.

Michael O’Regan had a header saved by Murray and when the clearance was launched upfield there was a calamitous mix up between Woodward and Aspinall-Smyth over who should deal with it as it bounced towards the penalty area allowing Hadlum to nip in and walk the ball into the empty net.

Soon after the Juniors missed a great chance to extend their lead when Noma put a free header wastefully over from a pinpoint Hadlum cross and Town took full advantage of their let-off to level it all up again in the 67th minute.

Again West was involved with his persistence in a tight situation on the right leading to him whipping in a low cross which was finished off by Rob Lord lurking at the far post.

From then on it was end to end stuff as both sides went all out for what would surely be the decider with Caine Elliot’s rasping shot flashing inched the wrong side of the post and Harrington having a his shot deflected behind.

Then with three minutes to go Atkins pounced to seal the win and spark unrestrained Town celebrations both on and off the pitch.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s